Determines the cloud point of a resin
Ideal for where deviations in the cloud point can lead to sedimentation of the varnish, differences in drying speed and loss of gloss & tack stability.
The IGT CloudOscope is an advanced cloud point tester for determining the cloud point of a resin, where the cloud point is the temperature at which a heated and homogeneous resin/oil mixture starts to become cloudy when it starts to cool down after heating. Deviations in the cloud point lead to sedimentation of the varnish, differences in drying speed and loss of gloss & tack stability.
It is generally accepted that low cloud point temperatures are an indication for an improved compatibility of oil and resin.
The method is in full compliance with ASTM D6038-05 Standard Test Methods for Determining the Compatibility of Resin/Solvent Mixtures by Precipitation Temperature (Cloud Point) and the Eurocommittee Method for Cloud Point Testing.
The CloudOscope is a more advanced version of the “Varnish Cooker”, as no real time measurements are possible with this simpler device.
- Place the chosen volume of the resin in a chosen volume of solvent
- Heat the tube following a standardized heating profile
- Stop heating and let the sample cool down, measure the turbidity of the solution until it reaches a pre-set level
- Determine the temperature at which this starts
Applicable Standards and Methods
- ASTM D6038-05 (Standard Test Methods for Determining the Compatibility of Resin/Solvent Mixtures by Precipitation Temperature (Cloud Point)
- Euro Committee Method for Cloud Point Testing
- Practice For Preparation of Oil-Based Ink Resin Solutions Using the Thermotronic II Varnish Cooker
|Programmable temperature, stirring speed and level of cloudiness
|Measurement with wireless PT100 sensor to prevent problems with cabling in hot and dirty atmosphere
|Chemically resistant display
|Optional connection to a computer
|Stainless steel housing and frame for long trouble-free use and easy cleaning
|External printer for measuring result & to keep the housing of the tester closed
|Easy to clean
|Low Total Cost of Ownership
|Fully compatible with ASTMD6038 and 5958
- Electrical: 230 VAC ± 5 %. 50 – 60 Hz, 5 Amps max. / 110 VAC ± 5 %, 50 – 60 Hz, 10 Amps. max.
- Net Weight: 20kg
- Dimensions (H x W x D): 290 x 440 x 280 mm
For further information, please contact our sales team on 01223 492081 or via firstname.lastname@example.org
IGT Testing Systems
Printability testing equipment and tack testing instruments for the worldwide paper industry, printing industry, graphical arts, plastics, paints, inks and coatings industry.